Index syndication
comment syndication

PowerShell to Configure BizTalk Server 2013 Host and Host Instances

Everyone loves automated processes.

With BizTalk 2013 if you want to provide a repeatable install; you need automation. PowerShell is where it’s at.
Lucky for me, other very skilled people already have written PowerShell scripts providing the capability to create hosts and host instances. Sandro Pereira has written and published a PowerShell script to create your BizTalk host instances based upon the best practice of host separation. However, it’s only written for BizTalk 2010.

I’ve gone and modified it for BizTalk 2013. It provides the exact same capability, with BizTalk 2013 capabilities.
This includes new Receive Port Handlers:

  • SB-Messaging
  • SFTP
  • WCF-BasicHttpRelay
  • WCF-NetTcpRelay

And New Send Port Handlers:

  • SB-Messaging
  • SFTP
  • WCF-BasicHttpRelay
  • WCF-NetTcpRelay
  • WCF-WebHttp (the new adapter supporting REST)

The diff to the BTS2010 version from Sandro is:

You can grab my updated BizTalk 2013 script over at my BizTalk 2013 GitHub repository.

awk oneliner to find large files

A mega geeky awk one-liner today. Tested on Solaris under bash, so YMMV.

Have you ever found that a filesystem is filling up fast, and dont know what is causing it? This one liner (which can be placed in a cron job if you like) is best run as a super user.

It will:

  1. Search for all files in the current dir and subdirs that are modified in the last 3 days;
  2. list them, filtering just the filesize and name/path;
  3. sort/order by the largest file; and
  4. Email you a copy of the report.
 find / -type f -mtime -3 -exec ls -l {} \; 2>/dev/null \
| awk '{print $5 " " $9}' \
| awk '{printf "%12d\t%s\n", $1, substr($0,index($0,$2),80)}' \
| sort -r >/tmp/largefiles.txt && \
( uuencode /tmp/largefiles.txt largefiles.txt ) \
| mailx -s 'Large Files Report' -r [email protected] `cat /tmp/mailrecipients` &

Nice. If you just want to see the response on stdout then try this:

 find / -type f -mtime -3 -exec ls -l {} \; 2>/dev/null \
| awk '{print $5 " " $9}' \
| awk '{printf "%12d\t%s\n", $1, substr($0,index($0,$2),80)}' \
| sort -r

Have fun.

Clearcase Tips Number 03 – managing label conventions with perl

I previously showed you how to use a shell script with Rational Clearcase, to alert you when a new branch type was created.

In this post, I will show you how to use a Perl script to enforce Clearcase labeling conventions. Perl LogoThis example is directed toward Clearcase on UNIX (i.e. Solaris or similar) and assumes you have Perl installed, working and have a basic knowledge of how to program in Perl. It is a reworked version of the windows script supplied by IBM on Developerworks.

This is a long post, but a good one if you are a new clearcase admin who needs to enforce label names.

Read the rest of this entry »

Perl while loop memory hog

I was trying to use someone elses script for logging dansguardian events to an RDBMS.The script was chewing up 99% of my CPU! I got chatting to a friend and a perl coder about this, and got some ideas. He showed me about the perl debugger using the -d switch. Awesome. I finally got my perl script working. Installing the DBI package on OpenBSD was a snap with pkg_add (pkg_add -v p5-DBD-Pg-1.47.tgz). My logical debugging was as follows.

first I read that DBI was a memory hog so I wrote it out and put in a native postgres call, but the pgsql for perl was borked.
(comment from coding friend “DBI is fine man, works for the massess”). Next I changed the while loop over the the file to a Tail::File method, but the module was badly documenting and had issues.

I actually ended up using IO::File to tail the log and looped over the lines (in a mad loop), but it was still broken.
So I went back to DBI, which as my friend pointed out was never a problem. It worked!

It turned out the loop was the CPU hog and all I had to do was put in a sleep 1; if there was no new line in the tail.
In the process I rewrote the whole script and it barely resembles the original except for the idea. Now it has 0.5% CPU load at best. A win for coding. I’ll post the script soon and also send it to dansguardian.

Comment from perl coding friend: of course – i guessed that after u left. 🙂