I’ve been struggling to install the beast that is Clearcase 7.1.1 on a proof of concept server.
In this case the server is a Solaris 10 64bit install running on VMware Fusion 3.
One of the initial mistakes I made was to try and run the installation from a network mount. DON’T. Solaris must block the execution of code on some types of removable drives, which in this case was a VMWare Fusion shared folder.
A second thing that is not clear in the README files: Clearcase 7.1.1 on Solaris x86 does NOT support the GUI installation. Therefore, for me as much as any readers of this blog, I’ll document the steps to kick off a fresh/silent installation.
The install will be/have:
- A local install
- Clearcase Atria Licencing, local
- IBM Installation Manager installed first
- ClearCase installed second
- Download your entitled product for Solaris X86, for CC7.1.1 which is:
- IBM Rational ClearCase V7.1.1 Solaris x86 Platform Edition Multilingual
If you need an evaluation copy, they are [also available].</li> * Copy the archive to your server, and extract it. I’ll use _/var/ccinstall_ for my install source, but adjust as required: `<br />
mkdir -p /var/ccinstall
cp -p CZ9XKML.zip /var/ccinstall
* Follow the [IBM documented steps] for preparing a silent install. For my steps the dir _/var/ccinstall/disk1_ will be _esd\_image\_root_. * Kick off the install:
/var/ccinstall/disk1/InstallerImage_/install <br />
–launcher.ini <br />
/var/ccinstall/disk1/InstallerImage_/silent-install.ini <br />
-silent <br />
-input clearcase_response_sol_x86.xml <br />
If you want to also show the progress, include the switch-showVerboseProgress`
At this point kick back and make a few coffees. Enjoy.